Sunday, May 18, 2014

I survived

Wow, this week has been so long! It seems like forever since I got to call my family! But, all is well.

This week on wednesday we had exchanges with the Sister Training Leaders. I went to Pagla-um while sister Kumar stayed in our area. I had so much fun in Pagla-um... it is so pretty there.. and sadly I took no pictures. But, I learned how to weave those cot bed things that they make here. It takes about 6 hours to complete a whole one! and these people are so good kag fast at making them! It was fun to see.

It was refreshing to go somewhere new and work, it gave me enthusiam to go back to my area and work! 

So this week I have been studying in Mosiah. And I was thinking about my very first book of mormon. It was one of the really really old ones that have the pictures inserted where the story is. Anyways, I remember when I was a kid that My favorite picture was the one where Abinadi is standing in chains in front of Evil King Noah. There is like a cheeta or something next to the king and all the priests are pointing and mocking and laughing at Abinadi. I don't remember why I liked it... but I really love this story. It starts in Mosiah 12-17. What caught my attention this time was in verse 3 of chapter 12 Abinadi tells the king that his life will be valued even as a garment in a hot furnace... Little does the king know how true this is...

Then the priests of the king ask Abinadi about a scripture and what it means, and Abinadi just goes off on them and tells them that they don't understand because they don't practice what they preach. It really hit me, not that I am so disobedient to the commandments, but I can always try to be better. I am not perfect. 

Then chapters 14 and the beginning of 15 talk about the atonement. I think I ahve already talked about chapter 14 before... but I just love to replace the word "our" with "MY"... try it out. it means so much more. 

Then of course in 15:28 it talks about me. read it(:

Chapter 16 talks about our agency and what wll happen if we use it for good... and what will happen if we use it for evil. and how we will be ressurrected. 

I love chapter 17 too... Because after Abinadi is don't talking alma believes him and begs the king to let him be free...but the king wont have it. And tries to capture Alma, but he goes off and writes the words of Abinadi..

Then Abinadi stands up for the truth and it kinda scares The King... and he was about to release him, I'm sure the king felt the power and authority that was there while Abinadi was speaking. but then the wicked priests pressure him, and the king caves and kills Abinadi by fire. And of course Abinadi seals his words and truth by death. 

What a powerful story. as I was reading it this morning I could literally feel the heat from the flames that killed Abinadi burning my hands as I held my scriptures. call me crazy, but I know this book is true,and it has power.... as the more we read it the more real it comes... the more we ponder on the words, and apply it to our life the more personal it becomes....

I am so thankful that Abinadi was so strong in his faith in jesus chirst... who hadent even come to earth yet.... that he would not deny it. He was such a great example to me, to all of us. When ever we just want to quit, or give up... think of Abinadi. I know he know what was going to happen to him... but he suffered it to happen. 

I love you all. I hope you are loving the scriptures as much as I am. I wish I could have felt the Power from the book of mormon before I was almost 2 decades old... but its never too late, righT? 

Trust me, and if you don't trust me, trust god. This book is true. 

I love you all
Love, Your sister Missionary,
Sister Young

P.s. The earthquake that happened here on the island.... everyone felt it but my companion and I... the power of our name tags is amazing. love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment